Saakshar Bharat Mission a centrally sponsored scheme of Department of School Education and Literacy (DSEL), Ministry of Human resource development (MHRD) Government of India (GOI) has been launched in October 2011 in district Budgam. It aims to further promote and strengthen Adult Education.
Mission has four broad objectives namely,
- Impart functional literacy and numeracy to non & neo literates adults.
- Enable the neo literates to continue the learning beyond basic literacy.
- Promote learning society by providing opportunities to neo Literate adults for continuing education.
- Impart skill development to Non & Neo literate adults.
The principal target of the mission is to impart functional literacy to neo and non literate adults in the age group of 15 and above with primarily focus on, but not limited to, women. Schedules Castes (SCs), Scheduled Tribes (STs) Minorities and other disadvantaged groups living in rural areas.
283 multiple functional Adult Education Centres (AEC) has been established at Gram Panchayat level to provide institutional, managerial and resource support to literacy and lifelong education at grass root level. One AEC has been established in a Gram Panchayat. The adult education centre is manned by two paid Coordinators (Preraks) in this way 576 Preraks has been engaged in whole district. AECs function from School buildings, Panchayat buildings & Anganwari centres.
Gram Panchayat Level: Panchayat Lok Shiksha Samiti(PLSS Composition
- Chairperson: Sarpanch
- Members: (50% women)
- Head Master/Teacher from the local school
- Member Secretary: Senior Prerak - 1
Block Level: Block Lok Shiksha Samiti
- Chairperson – BLOCK DEV.OFFICER
- Member Secretary – ZONAL EDUCATION OFFICE
- Member:Block Coordinator
District Level: Zilla Lok Shiksha Samiti
- Chairperson – DISTRICT DEV.COMMISSIONAR
- Member Secretary –PRINCIPAL DIET
- Members-Chief Education Officer & Principal Degree College .